Do Not Allow the Holiday Season to Induce Stress
Everyone seems to experience some level of stress over the holidays. It is hard to measure up to the picture-perfect ideal we see on television commercials and in magazines. There are, however, several coping strategies that can help alleviate some of this tension and stress. Approach the holiday season with these effective techniques and you will surely see a reduction in your stress level.
- Avoid indulgence in sugar. Too many sugary treats can create blood sugar peaks and valleys, which can influence your moods. You will also have a lower energy level.
- Drink in moderation. You may find that you are invited to several holiday parties that are serving alcohol. Avoid hangovers and other complications by limiting yourself to one drink or less every hour. You may even consider forgoing alcohol all together--simply ask for a mixed drink of fruit juice and sparkling water instead.
- Keep your regular sleep schedule, and if you normally don't get enough sleep each night, plan for some regular naps. Sleep is a great stress reducer. There is a tendency during the holidays to feel we are too busy for adequate sleep time, but this is an important component of healthy living.
- As busy as you feel, try to make some time for regular exercise as well. If you can't fit in an exercise routine, add little bursts of activity to your day. Take the stairs instead of the elevator, go for a brisk after-dinner walk, or dance to your favorite holiday tunes.
- Try to avoid last minute activities. Plan your shopping trips early in December, rather than waiting until the crowds have taken over the mall. Plan on getting your Christmas cards in the mail the first week of December as well, to avoid the long lines at the post office.
- Ask for help if you feel overwhelmed. Plan your large holiday dinners with some friends and family members, with each person taking on part of the job. You might even try a potluck dinner instead.
- Deck your halls a little at a time. Remember, you have several weeks to get your home in shape. Plan one task per day until you are done, rather than trying to get all of your decorating completed in one weekend. This is also a great strategy for gift wrapping. By wrapping only a couple of gifts a day, you won't get fatigued with this chore.
- Finally, plan for a few silent nights for yourself and your family. Rather than booking your calendar full of activities, schedule several evenings of quiet music, reading, or watching a movie together at home.
At Westlake Villas Apartments in San Antonio, Texas, we believe it’s important to live life vigorously. In order to do so, you must educate yourself regularly with lifestyle-enhancing tips such as these. With this blog post, we seek to improve your way of life through education that promotes self-care.